Phone: 905-890-9432

Special Services at Home (SSAH)

Families who are caring for a child with a developmental and/or physical disability can apply to receive funding through Special Services at Home, also known as “SSAH”. This funding provides support in covering costs for primary caregiver relief and for activities of personal growth or development.

The program can support you in paying for special services in or outside of your home, as long as your child does not receive support from a residential program.

For example, SSAH can be used to offset the costs of:

  • mainstream camp and recreation programs
  • specialized camp and recreation programs
  • advertising for recruitment of a special services worker
  • special services or a support worker to provide respite and/or personal development
  • travel costs associated with transporting special needs child for the worker
  • basic supplies to implement a program for the special needs child (for example, flash cards)
  • membership fees for special needs associations (for example, Special Olympics, Down Syndrome Association)
  • 1 on 1 support worker at camp or recreational program
  • training for a family member or worker that enhances the understanding of the child with a disability’s needs
  • extraordinary cost of childcare (for children aged 12 and above)
  • nursing for medically fragile children
  • routine homemaking tasks – light housecleaning, meal preparation, laundry, grass cutting, and snow removal
  • gym membership fees for the special needs child
  • daycare and nursery school as respite or if recommended for socialization
SSAH cannot be used to offset the costs of:

  • tutoring and academic programs
  • camp fees for siblings
  • basic care (for example, clothing, food, diapers, routine medical costs)
  • one-time admission costs (for example, movies, amusement parks, museums)
  • regular child care fees for children under 12 years
  • fees and tuition costs for education and employment
  • assistive devices, specialized equipment, home modifications
  • dental services
  • 1 on 1 support in a school setting
  • professional services: junior and senior therapists (for example, Intensive Behavioural Intervention, Applied Behaviour Analysis, speech therapy, occupational therapy, physiotherapy)
  • sports equipment (some items might be eligible during the COVID-19covid 19 pandemic; please refer to the temporary expanded list of eligible expenses)
  • electronics, including phones, computers, tablets (some items might be eligible during the COVID-19covid 19 pandemic; please refer to the temporary expanded list of eligible expenses)

Families are eligible and can apply if your child:

  • Has a developmental and/or physical disability
  • Lives in Ontario
  • Is under the age of 18
  • Needs more support than you can provide
  • Lives at home with you

There is no income criteria to receive this funding, however, the amount of funding you receive depends on:

  • The type and amount of service your child needs
  • What other help is available in your community
  • What kind of support you already receive

1. Download the application form

2. Attach a medical statement or psychological assessment to your application (it should include a description of the disability, an explanation of why you need services, and how much it will cost)

3. Submit a completed application form and medical assessment via mail to your nearest regional office or email to

Watch a tutorial provided by Surrey Place but clicking the button to the right, “Online Tutorial”.

You can choose to administer your funding in two ways:

  • Self-administered funding: you get your own funding, purchase services and supports on your own and submit expense claims directly to regional offices for reimbursement
  • Agency administered funding: an agency administers your funding on your behalf. Please contact your local regional office to get more information on the list of agencies in your area that can support families who get SSAH funding.

If using the self-administered funding model, you must send your invoices for eligible services to the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services for reimbursement. To do this, you can:

  • use the 2021/2022 invoices that you received with your SSAH 2021/2022 approval package to e-mailed, faxed, mailed or dropped off
  • submit your invoices electronically through MyDirectPlan

How can I attend a Funding Information Session?
To attend a funding information session you must be receiving services from Kids Pathways Peel (KPP) or Peel Inclusion Resource Services (PIRS). Find our next funding session by visiting our calendar of events here


How can I submit my expense claims?
After you purchase services or supports, you can submit your expense claims by:

  • email: email your expense claims to your local regional office
  • mail: mail your expense claims to your local regional office
  • fax: fax your expense claims to your local regional office
  • using our online toolMyDirectPlan.


What is “MyDirectPlan”?
MyDirectPlan is a tool that can help you organize and submit SSAH expenses online. With MyDirectPlan you can:

  • submit your invoices directly to your regional office for approval
  • keep track of your funding budget
  • view used and remaining funds
  • have your workers review and approve their hours online.

As a MyDirectPlan user, you will also have access to our mobile app so you can manage your funding on the go and enjoy convenient features, like being able to take photos of your receipt on your phone or tablet and attach it directly to your expenses. The MyDirectPlan (MDP) mobile app is available for download on the Apple App store and Google Play store.

Signing up is easy. To get started all you need is your funding letter and go to and create an account. Our step by step wizard will help you get onboard.

If you have any questions or need assistance contact us:


Where can I get more invoices?
If you require additional blank invoice templates, you can:

  • make copies of the invoice templates we sent with your approval package
  • contact your special agreements officer and ask them to email you blank invoice templates
  • download a 2021-2022 invoice template.


Where is my regional office?
If you live in Peel, your local regional office is in Mississauga.

6733 Mississauga Road, Suite 200
Mississauga, Ontario
L5N 6J5

Tel: 905-567-7177
Fax: 905-567-3215
Toll-free: 1-877-832-2818


How can I find a special services worker or support worker?

1. Consider your natural supports. Do you have anyone who is currently supporting you in caring for your child? SSAH can be used to pay for the services of friends, neighbours, extended family members and school support staff

2. Private Respite Providers. CDRCP hosts a free database of qualified, experienced Providers looking to support families in their area. Families and Providers arrange fees, scheduling and support needs

3. Community Agency Respite. SSAH can be used to offset the costs of support provided through community agencies such as respite, social groups and camp

Learn more by visiting [InfoPeel’s respite page once created].


What kind of homemaking tasks can the funding cover?
To allow you to have more time with your child with special needs or to take part in other family activities, temporary help with routine homemaking tasks may be covered. These may include light housecleaning, meal preparation, laundry and grass/snow maintenance.